Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Non Stereo-Typical Daughter

I was just recently reading a great article on Jasmine's blog about not falling into the trap of thinking Godly womanhood is all about staying home and learning how to crochet and just being "feminine". All of which are wonderful things that are a part of being a being a Godly young lady at home, but not all of it. Besides, I don't particularly like crocheting. I'd much rather bake or read a book. :)

While reading Jasmine's post, however, I was reminded that God has created women with different talents and interests so that they can better serve their current/future husbands. Missionaries need wives that can minister to the women and children in villages, help translate bibles, treat wounds, and know how to operate a computer. A man that is thinking of serving in government would need a wife that has some knowledge of politics and history. And every man needs a wife who will faithfully and diligently work at furthering his vision instead of hindering it. We're not just cookie cutter daughters. God has fashioned each of us for a unique purpose. What ever talents or interests He has blessed you with, you should cultivate and nurture to be used for His glory.

As daughters at home we should "practice" being Godly wives by serving our families joyfully and furthering our fathers vision. We can do this by helping our mothers with housework so that they have more time to spend with our dads--which is enabling them to be the wives God has called them to be. Or, your dad might have something specific for you to do with his work. My parents and I are hoping that sometime in the next few years I'll be able to start helping my dad with the monthly billing for his lawn business. It looks different for every father and daughter, but I believe that having a servant's heart is a huge blessing to our dads.


Anyways, that was just a little bit of some of the stuff that has been on my mind recently. I'm hoping and praying that God will give us renewed vision and purpose for the life He's called each of us to live as His daughters!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I love what you said about not being "cookie cutter daughters." I would add, that God could also call a daughter into a service apart from her immediate family's activities. Nursing or teaching, for examples. Before she has a husband to minister to and young children to raise, I personally believe it is not wrong for a woman to have a profession. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this angle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I think that a daughter having a profession or an outside-the-home way of earning an income can be a great opporuninty as well as financially profitible; as long as she is under her family's protection and guidance. I know lots of girls that have jobs outside of the home that are very succesful and are still being sheltered by their parents. I think that brings it back to the point of every daughter having a way of glorifying God with her life that's just as unique as she is.

    ReplyDelete