Monday, July 5, 2010

Praying For Those That Offend Us

There are so many times when I get angry, whether I verbalize it or not, over things that are ridiculously small. Then, I feel ridiculously small once I've had a chance to really think about what it was that I got angry about.

But, sometimes people say things that really hurt. Particularly when its about decisions my parents and I have made concerning college, dating, and other controversial subjects. Its also very painful trying to explain why we made those decisions to people who really care about your future and can't understand why someone would want to "throw their life away" by staying at home and serving their family instead of pursuing a career. Comments like these are especially hurtful to me because I've always struggled with man's opinion.

I've learned a piece of advice from a very wise person concerning angry/hurtful actions or remarks--whether they're trivial or deeply painful. Once, I was having an issue with the way I treated a sibling, and it had been going on for awhile. My dad finally pulled me aside and had a talk with me about this subject. He told me that instead of giving in to the temptation of anger, I should stop and pray for them. He said that it is impossible to have angry or hurt feelings towards someone when you are earnestly praying for them. It turns the bad feeling into an act of love. So, every time I was tempted to get angry I would pray. And you know what? I found that my angry or hurt feelings disappeared. Then, God would remind me of a specific need that person had and I would pray for it as well.

That habit has spilled over into other parts of my life as well. Whenever someone makes a negative remark about my college decision or some other area I stop and pray for them. Praying for those that offend me has dealt with my "fear of man" syndrome as well.

So, the next time someone offends you, I encourage you to pray for them and watch what God does in that person's life and in your life.

And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven might forgive you your sins. Mark 11:12

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1: 2-3

1 comment: